NOTE: new meeting location.
Hillsview Active Living Centre
318 Guelph Street, Unit #9
Georgetown, Ont. (MAP)
(entrance at the back of the building)
Tuesday, January 10, 2023
Hidden Life – Amorous salamanders, piscine stonemasons, and crooning tree crickets
Speaker(s): Don Scallen
All around us creatures are conducting their lives largely unseen. We are aware of birds and the larger mammals but there is a host of animals active underwater or after dark that are seldom observed. Others use camouflage to conceal their presence. Don Scallen will share images and stories about fish, caterpillars and other animals that slip under the radar.
Don is a writer, naturalist, and past president of our club. He is a regular contributor to In The Hills magazine and has recently published the book ‘Nature Where We Live’.
Tuesday, February 14, 2023
Birds and other wildlife of Uganda
Speaker(s): Yves Scholten
The equatorial regions of East Africa are some of the most biodiverse areas of Earth, boasting complex geological and ecological landscapes around the African Rift Valley, the eastern edge of the Congo basin, and the adjacent savannahs and mountains. Yves Scholten will share photos of his recent adventures to Uganda, looking for birds, snakes and other African fauna in the “Pearl of Africa”.
Tuesday, March 14, 2023
Tuesday, April 11, 2023
Speaker(s): Fiona Reid and friends
More details to follow closer to the time.
Tuesday, May 9, 2023
Tuesday, June 13, 2023
Scotsdale Farm BirdBox Cleaning
Public welcome. Please show your support – become a member!
Meetings are held on the second Tuesday of each month from September to June unless otherwise stated. Meetings take place at the
Hillsview Active Living Centre
318 Guelph Street – Unit #9
Note: the entrance is at the back of the building, and start at 7:30 pm.
- September 13, 2022 – CVC’s Butterfly Blitz with mention of West Virginia White butterflies: Laura Timms PhD
- May 10, 2022 – Monitoring Bird Boxes on CVC Properties: Christina Kovacs
- April 12, 2022 – The Galapagos Islands : Elizabeth Szekeres
- March 8, 2022 – Eat the Beetles: David Waltner-Toews
- February 8, 2022 – Blood and the Curious Lives of Blood-feeding Creatures: Bill Schutt
- January 11, 2022 – Trail Cameras How They Work: Janet Pesaturo
- November 9, 2021 – Algonquin Park: Michael Runtz
- October 12, 2021 – A fifth limb: tails of hanging around in the Neotropical rain forest: Fiona Reid
- September 14, 2021 – From endangered Redside Dace to stunning Brook Trout: Don Scallen
- June 8, 2021 – Ontario Prairies, Savannahs and Grasslands: Dan Stuart
- May 11, 2021 – The wildlife of the Pribilof Islands: Rich Hoyer
- April 13, 2021 – Caterpillars the Whole Story: Caterpillars, Connections, and Why Biodiversity Matters: Sam Jaffe
- March 9, 2021 – Saving South American Giants (giant armadillos): Arnaud Desbiez
- February 9, 2021 – Central American Amphibians and Reptiles: Twan Leenders
- January 12, 2021 – Beautiful Nocturnal Creatures – Costa Rican Night Life: Tracie Stice, Gianfranco Gomez
- November 10, 2020 – Come Walk With Us: Sonya and Sean Morton walking journey across Canada
- March 10, 2020 – Local Insect Discovery
- February 11, 2020 – Bill McIlveen
- January 14, 2020 – Ontario Herptiles
- November 12, 2019 – The Special Wetlands of the Hamilton Watershed
- October 8, 2019 – Toxic Animals
- September 10, 2019 – Tropical Nature
- May 14, 2019 – Wetland Wildlife
- April 9, 2019 – Mark Engstrom: Out of the Depths
- March 12, 2019 – Catherine Scott: Eat Prey Love: The Secret Lives of Spiders
- February 26, 2019 – Gary Hall: Practical tips to take your nature photography to the next level
- January 8, 2019 – Laura Timms: little things that run the world