Outdoor Event Questions?
Contact Don Scallen at firstname.lastname@example.org
Brook Trout at Silver Creek Education Centre *CANCELLED*
Sunday, Oct 27, 2019
Time: 1:00 p.m.
Our quest will be spawning brook trout. These spectacular fish inhabit clean, cool streams and thankfully such streams can still be found in this area. Binoculars are essential.
* the location may change if Don Scallen locates another nearby stream with good viewing opportunities.
Don can be contacted at 905-876-6180
Woody vegetation removal at
Forks of the Credit Provincial Park
Saturday, Nov 2, 2019
Where: Forks of the Credit Provincial Park.
Meet in the main parking lot west of McLaren Road between Forks of the Credit Road and Charleston Sideroad in Caledon.
Timing: TBA – feel free to arrive later.
Just connect with Don Scallen at 905 876 6180 when you arrive, and he’ll direct you to the field of operations.
Tools: Manual cutting tools and gloves. Power tools are verboten.
Departure time is also open. If you can only donate an hour or two of your time, that is entirely fine. Obviously if you plan to stay longer, you’ll want to bring some food and water.
Contact Don Scallen at email@example.com for more information.
Rain will cancel this event. Please watch your inbox.
Late Flowering Plants Survey
November 17, 2019
Bill McIlveen will lead this 18th annual survey to find and identify any flowering plants that are still blooming late in the season at sites around Halton Hills. Meet at the parking lot of the old public school, Mary Street, Norval at 1:00 pm where we will start our usual monitoring at the Lucy Maude Montgomery Garden and Willow Park. Afterwards, we will check the Dominion Seedhouse Gardens.
Christmas Bird Count
December 27, 2019
The 29th annual Christmas Count for Halton Hills will take place in the standard survey area around Halton Hills on Friday, December 27. The area will be divided into smaller areas with participants assisting experienced leaders. This is a great way for beginners to learn their birds. If you would like to join in any aspect of the count, please contact Bill McIlveen via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or send us a message at email@example.com. More information will be sent out closer to the Count Day.
Monday Night Walks
To be announced
Halton North Peel Naturalist and South Peel Naturalist Clubs
All walks are on Mondays at 7:00pm
For more information, contact Bill McIlveen (519) 853-3948
Don’t miss out on the fun!
We have one or more outings every month throughout the year, guided by the most experienced naturalists in our club. The outings will be fairly casual affairs, meaning… you won’t have a lot of advance notice. We’ll announce the details at each meeting, often along the lines of “hey I’m going out to do/see this next weekend, anyone want to come?”
We’ll follow-up with a club email, and post the details here, on Facebook, and on Twitter.
If you can’t make a club meeting, make sure you sign up for our newsletter to stay in the loop.
Note: For liability reasons, you must be a fully paid member of the Halton North Peel Naturalist Club, and you must have our registration form completed, to participate in our field outings. Please join!
Past Field Trips
- Oct 1 – Nest Box Cleaning at Forks of the Credit
- Sep 29 – Nest Box Cleaning at Scotsdale Farm
- Sep 27 – Duck Identification and Bird Walk at Scotch Block.
- Sep 14 – Mothing and Caterpillars
- Jun 11 – Birdbox Monitoring at Scotsdale Farm
- May 25 – A Pollinator and Biodiversity Workshop
- May 19 – Spring Birding at Thickson Wood, Lynde Shores Conservation Area and Cranberry Marsh
- May 4 – Community Nature Walk and Clean Up
- April 22 – Timberdoodles Scotsdale Farm
- April 13 – Beamer Conservation AreaHawkwatch, Grimsby
- March 16 – Tundra Swans at Long Point
- March 3 – Animal Tracking at Terra Cotta Conservation
- February 23 – Animal Tracking at Terra Cotta Conservation
- January 13 – Winter Trees and Birds in the Hand
- January 6 – Snowy Owls, Snow Buntings and Other Winter Songbirds
- December 27 – Christmas Bird Count
- November 11 – Survey of late blooming plants.
- October 28 – Bird Box Cleaning at Scotsdale Farm
- October 21 – Norway Maple removal at Silver Creek
- October 14 – Bird Box Cleaning at Forks of the Credit
- September 30 – Bird Box Cleaning at Scotsdale Farm
- September 15 – Group Litter Pick Up in Georgetown
- September 8 -Mothing at Fiona Reid’s Niagara Escarpment property
- July 21 – Dragonflies with David D’Entremont
- July 21 – Mothapaooza in Speyside
- June 23/24 – Outing to Carden Alvar
- June 16 – Moths, caterpillars, frogs and other creatures of the night
- May 20 – Spring Birding at Thickson Wood, Lynde Shores Conservation Area and Cranberry Marsh
- May 12 – World Migratory Bird Day
- May 5 – Woodland wildflowers and early-arriving birds
- April 22 – Bird Box Installation at Forks of the Credit Provincial Park
- April 21 – Beamer Conservation Area Hawkwatch
- April 20 – Woodcocks at Forks of the Credit Provincial Park
- April 13 – Salamanders at Silver Creek Education Centre
- March 17 – Tundra Swans at Long Point
- February 17 – Owls at Claireville Conservation Area
- January 28 – Winter Bird Outing for Snowy Owls