1. Winter Bird Count Date: Saturday, January 14 Time: 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Location: Claireville Conservation Area - 8180 Hwy 50, Brampton, ON L6T 0A7, Canada Description: The Christmas Bird Count is a fun, family-friendly bird watching event that promotes nature appreciation and environmental stewardship. Build bird identification skills and contribute to important … Continue Reading ››
By Don Scallen - I’ve spent a lot of time recently at the Georgetown Hospital, visiting my mother who suffered a broken pelvis on December 1st. Looking out the windows of the various rooms she’s occupied, it occurred to me that a strategically placed bird feeder or two could be a pleasant diversion for bed-bound patients. The hospital management heartily endorsed my proposal to install the feeders. I purchased two feeders along with … Continue Reading ››
By Fiona Reid and Don Scallen -
January Food for Feathered Friends!
- Consider adding peanuts or suet for extra fat at this time of year
- A heated bird bath can be very important in midwinter
February Turn down the Heat! Prowl for an Owl!
- Save money and reduce consumption of non-renewable energy supplies by turning down heat at night or when out
- Owls nest really early so now is a good time to go out at dusk and listen for them, or imitate them and see if you … Continue Reading ››