Big Tree Measuring at the Calcium Pits
Saturday, oct 14, 2017 – 2:00 p.m. Bruce Side Trail along Twiss Road about 2.5km south of Steeles Avenue soutwest of Campbellville. Limited parking is available along the roadside. Bill McIlveen will lead this hike to seek out and measure large trees.
Nest Box Cleaning at Scotsdale Farm
Sunday, oct 15, 2017 – 1:00 p.m. Meet in the Scotsdale parking lot accessible from Trafalgar Road. Our annual inspection and cleaning of the nest boxes we’ve installed at Scotsdale.
Nest Box Cleaning at Forks of the Credit Provincial Park
Sunday, oct 22, 2017 – 1:30 p.m. Meet in the Forks of the Credit parking lot west off of McClaren Road Caledon, between Forks of the Credit Road and Charleston Sideroad. Parking fee required. In the spring our club installed ten nest boxes at the Forks of the Credit Provincial Park. They were a great success with at least 9 of them occupied by nesting birds. Now it’s time to clean and inspect them so they are ready for next year.
Spawning Brook Trout at Silver Creek
Sunday October 29, 2017 – 1:30 pm Meet at the Silver Creek Education Centre parking lot on Fallbrook Road just north of 27 Sideroad. We will walk from there to the spawning beds.
Woody Vegetation Removal at Forks of the Credit Provincial Park
Saturday, nov 5, 2017, Time to be announced.
Club members will team up with staff from the MNRF to remove some of the shrubs and trees encroaching on the meadow habitat at Forks of the Credit Provincial Park. The extensive meadowlands of this park are a home to several species at risk.
Numerous species dependent on meadows find habitat at the Forks including clay-colored and grasshopper sparrows. A wealth of invertebrate life also thrives in the meadow. The clearing of some of the woody vegetation, mandated by the park’s management plan will keep parts of the existing meadow open.
Meet in the Forks of the Credit parking lot west off of McClaren Road Caledon, between Forks of the Credit Road and Charleston Sideroad. Parking fee required. The objective is to maintain portions of these open habitats for the plants and animals that depend on them. These species also include bobolinks, meadowlarks, monarch butterflies, hoary vervain and foxglove beardtongue.
Monday Night Walks Summer 2017
Halton/North Peel Naturalist and South Peel Naturalist Clubs
All walks were on Mondays at 7:00pm
May 15 – Shanahan Tract, leader: Dawn Renfrew
May 22 – Sixteen Mile Creek Valley, leader: Bill McIlveen
May 29 – Scotch Block, leader: Fiona Reid
Jun 5 – Acton Swift Watch, leader: Emily Cassidy
Jun 12 – Scotsdale Bird Box check, leader: Bill McIlveen
Jun 19 – Riverview Park Streetsville, leader: Bill McIlveen
Jun 26 – Forks-of-Credit Park, leader: Don Scallen
Jul 3 – Credit River Streetsville, leader: Bill McIlveen
Jul 10 – Hardy & Crozier Tracts, leader: Ray Blower
Jul 17 – Marco Muzzo Memorial Park, leader: Bill McIlveen
Jul 24 – Conely Tract, leader: Bill McIlveen
Jul 31 – Hungry Hollow Georgetown, leader: Bill McIlveen
Aug 7 – Swift Night Out, leader: Emily Cassidy
Aug 14 – Speyside Area, leader: Fiona Reid
Aug 21 – Rattray, leader: Kirsten Burling
Don’t miss out on the fun!
We have one or more outings every month throughout the year, guided by the most experienced naturalists in our club. The outings will be fairly casual affairs, meaning… you won’t have a lot of advance notice. We’ll announce the details at each meeting, often along the lines of “hey I’m going out to do/see this next weekend, anyone want to come?”
We’ll follow-up with a club email, and post the details here, on Facebook, and on Twitter.
If you can’t make a club meeting, make sure you sign up for our newsletter to stay in the loop.
Note: For liability reasons, you must be a fully paid member of the Halton/North Peel Naturalist Club to participate in our field outings. Please join!
Past Field Trips
- October 7 – Waterfowl at Scotch Block Reservoir
- October 1 – RARE Norval Community BioBlitz
- September 30 – Spiders at Scotsdale Farm
- September 17 – Fungi Hike
- September 16 – Snakes at Hilton Falls
- June 17 – The Flight of the Cecropia Moth
- June 10 – First Annual Halton/North Peel Naturalist Club Big Bird Day
- May 28 – Heronry in Speyside
- May 21 – Spring Birding at Thickson Woods, Lynde Shores Conservation Area and Cranberry Marsh
- April 15 – Beamer Conservation Area Hawkwatch, Grimsby
- March 18 – Tundra Swans at Long Point.
- March 5 – Owls at Claireville Conservation Area
- January 29, 2017 – Animal Tracking at Terra Cotta Conservation
- January 21, 2017 – Ontario Lakefront Waterfowl
- December 29 – Christmas Bird Count
- November 13 – Brook Trout hike
- November 12 – Late flowering plant survey
- October 8 – Scotsdale Farm birdbox check
- October 2 – Scotch Block Reservoir Fall Birds
- August 16 – Caledon Lake Mothing
- August 14 – Monarch Blitz
- July 29 – Mothing at Speyside
- July 23 – Check your watershed day 2016
- June 25 – P.O.W.E.R. event: Mapping dog-strangling vine at Forks of the Credit Provincial Park
- June 19 – Willow Park Ecology Centre event: breeding bird survey in Hungry Hollow
- June 18 – Forks of the Credit Provincial Park grassland bird monitoring
- June 14 – Birdbox Monitoring at Scotsdale Farm
- June 4 – Forks of the Credit Provincial Park grassland bird monitoring
- May 30 – Hewick Meadows
- May 23 – Scotch Block Warblers
- May 22 – Spring Birding at Thickson Woods, Lynde Shores Conservation Area and Cranberry Marsh
- May 16 – Acton Swift Watch
- May 15 – Spring Bioblitz and Potluck
- May 9 – Sherwood Forest Park Wildflowers
- May 8 – Spring Wildflowers and early Warblers
- April 23 – Beamer Conservation Area Hawkwatch, Grimsby
- March 12 – Tundra Swans at Long Point:
- January 16 – Winter birds and waterfowl, Burlington area
- December 28 – Christmas Bird Count
- June 21 -Forks of the Credit Provincial Park
- May 23 – Scotch Block Reservoir and the Reed’s Heronry
- May 18 – Acton waterfowl and Swift Night Out
- May 17 – Spring Birding at Thickson Wood, Lynde Shores Conservation Area and Cranberry Marsh
- April 25 – Woodcocks, Frogs, Screech Owls at Terra Cotta
- April 17 – Salamanders and Owls at Silver Creek
- April 6 – Bird Houses at Scotsdale Farm (Phase Two)
- March 29 – Inspect and install bird Houses at Scotsdale Farm
- March 14 – Tundra Swans at Long Point
- February 28 – Tracks, signs and winter birds at the RBG
- February 16 – Big Tree Measuring – take two with Don Scallen
- January 25 – Big trees of Halton Hills with Don Scallen
- January 18 – Snow Buntings with David Lamble
- December 27 – Christmas Bird Count
- November 29 – Birding & Trumpeter Swans at LaSalle Park
- November 16 – Hike to view Brook Trout
- November 15 – Late Flowering Plants Survey Hike
- August 14 – Swift Night Out
- August 9 – Tall grass prairie/oak savannah habitat at Ojibway Prairie & Spring Garden Prairie
- June, July, August – Monday Evening Walks
- June 10 – Nature walk through Scotsdale Farm
- May 18 – Spring Birding at Thickson Wood, Lynde Shores Conservation Area and Cranberry Marsh
- April 12 – Beamer Conservation Area Hawkwatch, Grimsby
- March 15 – Tundra Swans at Long Point
- January 26 – Snow Bunting Banding
- January 18 – Waterfowl & winter birds at La Salle Park
- January 12 – Reptile Workshop
- December 27 – Halton Hills Christmas Bird Count
- November 16 – Birding at Colonel Samuel Smith Park
- November 10 – Late Flowering Plants Survey
- June 11 – Evening walk on Great Esker Trail
- June 8 – Survey of Clearwing Moths and potluck dinner